Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Computer Troubles.

OK, so my blog has lacked a bit of detail in the last few weeks, especially with all the exciting things that have happened. So Here is a brief to hold you over till I can get enough computer time to actually get stuff typed up.

About a week ago I was being a good kid and doing my usual Computer maintenance(Cocktail/ Onyx), Putting up a website on my computer(Pictures/ trip to taiwan)... Try to make stuff more secure ( private/ Public key RSA). Somewhere in the mix of all this My screen goes black momentarily and the Video freezes on my computer. OK No big deal I do the one finger fix ( Hold down the power button) and all seems ok. The next day i get a Few Kernel Panics ( Grey screen on the mac.. Equivalent to the BSOD( Blue screen of Death for you windows People)).

OK, so i've been doing a lot, No Biggie??

My friend the black screen came back and it continued to freak out... NOT GOOD. I figured while it was not working I might as well try and SSH ( remotely login to my computer via command line and see if it responds) it spoke to me OK.. and restarted just fine so i figured it was just the graphics.

as it continued to increase in frequency of about 10x in 2 days I really started to get concerned. I did another Cocktail clean up of my computer and it seemed to work for about 20 hours. Then i got fed up and made the ultimate threat. " I"LL TAKE YOU TO THE APPLE STORE".. ( I think it's smarter than i because it knows there is no APPLE STORE in Taiwan). So it continued and I took it into the "apple certified reseller". One of the times the screen was flashing and i happened to take a video of it, so i took it into the store and they saw the video and knew what the problem was. FORTUNATELY, the lady there spoke english very well and didn't have to many problems communicating my issues. The saw I had warranty on it still ( after some hand gestures) and shipped it off to Taipei. This was Yesterday ( tuesday afternoon). I asked how long is estimated for repair and she said 2 weeks. I didn't believer her but Imagine a ECE student from ILLINOIS without a computer... It's like being naked in the Amazon...

To top it all off.. after I took it in i realized the video that demonstrated the problem is on my Username on the computer ( behind passwords)... and if the Apple Tech guy wants to boot up to try and do anything to my computer.. he will need a password because I have implemented ways to block out the ordinary hackers... I sure hope they are smarter than I think they are so they break into my computer.

.. If you REALLY want to follow my computer status... here is the website they gave me :
http://www.growing.tw/customer/lookupr.php?no=23306

I will be trying to get some updates about my trip to Dan Shui, KeeLung, and Taipei in.. kinda depends if i can get the pictures and time on computers. they may be separate posts.
Note: video screen flashing ... IS BAD

1 comment:

  1. But the Amazon is warm. I'd be OK being naked there. Now, in Alaska .... not to OK sans clothes. ;)

    ReplyDelete